Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A couple quick pics

Howdy all,
Still kickin' it Scandanavia. Norway is really strange. It's kind of what I always assumed Iceland would be like; all glacial rocks, ice, and strange, guttural, Bjork-sounding languages. A few quick observations and pics, then off to sleep and return to training. I passed today's training (DLP chips and color wheel algorithms), but tomorrow's is a bit more difficult, from what I understand.

There really is a difference between the British Isles and Europe. I can't really identify it, but when I landed in Amsterdam, I felt it. It had that feeling I have come to associate with my trip with Chad a few years back. It's a mix of cigarette smoke, open sewers, and being really disoriented by foreign, incomprehensible languages. It is a totally different feeling from UK. When I was there a couple months back, I had no strong sense that I was back in Europe. I wasn't. I was in the UK. But just running through Amsterdam and spending these past couple days in Noway, I have recaptured it. It's strange, but welcoming. To anyone traveling East, don't just hit the islands. Go down into the continent. They're very different, more different than I realized.

That's about it from here. I studied/tested all day, drank some beers with Norwegians and Brits, and now I'm due for a long sleep before I have to get up, train, test, and fly to the UK. I leave here tomorrow night around 8:30PM (+1GMT). I will post more when I can get back online. Peace n' love!



(Me, taking a picture of me in my room in Fredrikstan)


(The lobby of Raddison in Fredrikstad)


(A pub where I shot a drink that tasted like pickle juice and vodka and discussed the Simpsons Movie. Graham on the left.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleasant dreams..........

Anonymous said...

I hope you get breakfast there....


mmmmm bacon

Anonymous said...

ok, so the pictures...in the first one, exactly how much happy sauce had you consumed? in the second pic, i was disappointed that the hotel was not made of ice. james bond movies have taught me that all nordic countries have ice buildings...or is that eskimos? james bond eskimo...aspiring screen writers develop this...or are you too busy striking?

Matt said...

Dolomite: No sauce. Unless being jetlagged by +8 hours counts as a sauce of some sort. If I had taken the picture after shooting the pickle juice vodka shot, it would be a shot of me sleeping on the bed.

Second: I am James Bond. In fact, that picture isn't of the lobby. It's a secret Norwegian military base.

Anonymous said...

if that's a norwigian military base, i'm guessing they don't have a 'don't ask, don't tell policy.'