Sunday, November 11, 2007

Trip up a Treat

Have returned from the land of no hills and lots of humidity. Not much to report other than I have no love for Houston. I haven't been there since I was traveling with the monks many years ago, and very little has changed other than it appears to have grown in surface area, not density. It just keeps expanding and thinning, like a balloon being inflated. It's amazing how big the city is. It may not have as high a population density as cities like New York or Chicago, but what it lacks in density it makes up for in sheer size. You can drive for an hour and still be in what you'd recognize as a downtown, urban area. There be some money in that oil stuff, I hear...

The visit with the client was successful, albeit a little rushed. I had planned to spend two days working with them, but due to miscommunication and scheduling conflicts, I only ended up spending one day with them. Still, we accomplished quite a bit.

On the evening of the 8th, I went to see the re-cut "Final Director's Cut" of the Sci-Fi classic Blade Runner. It was amazing to see a print of the film that had been cleaned up and remixed into a really good 7.1 surround track. I've only ever seen the VHS or the really crappy DVD print, so it was a treat to see it how it was originally intended to be seen. I can't get over how good this version of the film is. Easily one of the best science fiction films of all time. The funniest thing about watching the film, is how sparce the flying crafts in sky over Los Angeles. They were trying to show how crowded the skies would be, but I think they undershot it. Sci-Fi is best when it talks about the present instead of predicting the future. It always gets the future wrong.


(Pic of a completely booked flight from Denver to Houston)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to have you back home.....

Houston, we have no problem....

Jessica S said...

I really can't breath all too well when I look at that picture!