Thursday, September 14, 2006

Specs

I've been plagued by "floaters" or little dark blips that slide in and out of sight for passed year or so. Early in the year (February, maybe) I had an eye exam. It was my first since, well, ever. The doctor recommended I pick up a pair of glasses for driving at night and my constant computer use. I never took her up on the offer since we live in a country where even the slightest a community-based approach to health welfare (business models are the best way to do everything, haven't you heard) I didn't have the money to plunk down on a new pairs of specs. So I went without.

Being exposed to constant phosphor glare of a bad c. 20001 CRT monitor for eight hours a day has begun to wreak havoc on my poor peepers again. I decided to have another eye exam here and the conclusion was the same. "You legally aren't required to wear them or anything, but they would take some of the strain off your eyes and help with headaches and glare." Said the tall woman adding up the total for a single pair of glasses. While I am graced to worked for a company that sees it their duty to provide their employees with a scant modicum of health insurance, they see eye care as a luxury only the elite should enjoy. So, we have to pay for the pair out of our own pockets. Nearly $300 later, the optometrist office sent off my order for new eye-wear.

Today they arrived. I, the last holdout in a family of sight-impaired people, finally have a pair of glasses to call my very own. I have only just received the glasses and I would assume my eyes, having spent the past the 27+ years compensating on their own, will give me some amount of hassle in having to learn how to see through these things.


(I'm planning to model my entire look after my new pal 'Heino'!)

2 comments:

Chad Kremer said...

Um I think a picture is in order with you and your new specs. Then the relentless mocking and tomato launching will commence!

Matt said...

I actually posted this post a little too soon. I was supposed to get my glasses yesterday, but a dead battery from leaving my headlights on all day coupled with Cinci traffic on a Friday made me too late to pick them up before they closed. Mandy and I are heading out there today to pick them up, then I will definitly post a pic.

Nice link Dolemite.